St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church is located on a country road in the rural community of Allenton, MI in St. Clair County. It was started in 1915 as a mission by Belgian and German immigrants determined to see a Catholic Church in this rural community. It was given the status of a parish in 1948 by Cardinal Edward Mooney.
On September 20, 2003 the current parish was blessed and dedicated by Cardinal Adam Maida. Inside the church the eyes are immediately drawn to the altar that is adorned with flowers from the recent Easter Masses. The main altar is made of oak and is draped with a single white cloth. To the left of the altar is a cross sitting on (built in) shelving. Above the altar is a simple statute of Jesus with his arms outstretched over the congregation. Cathedral ceilings give St. John the Evangelist church a sense of embracing all who enter its province. Large picture windows help complete the look of the church and allow us to look out on the beautiful country scenery and to reflect on God’s beauty.
We attended a Saturday evening mass that was well attended by the faithful of the area. There were families of all ages as well as young adults and seniors in attendance. The celebrant at the mass was Fr. “Doc” Ortman. Due to the playing of a taped CSA message from Archbishop Allen Vigneron and the baptism of a newborn at the mass, Fr. Ortman’s homily was brief and mainly centered around the baptism celebration as he asked us to renew our baptism promise.
St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church has had a long and faith filled history dedicated to spreading the good news of Jesus Christ. Today it continues the traditions of those Belgian and German families that started the parish almost 100 years ago. They recently installed a statute of St. John the Apostle that adds to the beauty and splendor of the church grounds.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the picturesque and serene community of Allenton and the chance to meet many of the wonderful members of St. John the Evangelist church.
Up Next: St. Mary Greektown-Detroit
|The old church still stands on the property|
|St. John the Apostle statute, dedicated in 2011|
|The new church dedicated in 2003 sits behind the old church|
|Joseph holding baby Jesus|
|A cross adorned with flowers at St John the Evangelist|
|Wall statutes of Joseph, Mary and boy Jesus|
|Built in shelving holds a cross and other items|
|The Altar at St. John the Evangelist|
|Statute of Mother Mary|
|St. John the Evangelist in Allenton, MI|